Recently I attended an “Authors’ Day” event that was held on a Saturday at the Tamarack District Library, 105 miles from my home. I left my house at 7:00 a.m. and returned home around 4:00 p.m. There were 19 authors spread throughout the library. My table was located in an ideal spot, almost directly in front of the library’s entrance.
I didn’t sell one book.
So was going to this even worthwhile? That’s what I’m trying to decide, so I’ve been listing positives and negatives.
- The library has a Facebook page and advertised the event with pictures and short bios of each attending author.
- The library advertised event locally and had signs in the library, listing attending authors. My name was on those.
- The librarians are wonderful. They’re enthusiastic, helpful, and had water, coffee, tea, scones, fresh fruit, and chocolates available (for free) for attendees and authors.
- There was no cost to attend.
- The librarians stoked my ego by saying the library has all of my books and they are in constant demand.
- My table was paired with Peg Herring’s table, and I had a great time talking about writing and self-publishing.
- Several people stopped by our tables and talked to us about our books, took our bookmarks, and said they mainly read e-books or listened to audio books. (So maybe they bought a book at a later date???)
- I rode to the event with another writer. We talked all the way there and back about writing. (I now have some new ideas for my wip.)
- I made contact with a local newspaper owner who features authors. It’s an opportunity for more publicity.
- Very few people came through the library. (There were mothers with children who visited and purchased books from a well known children’s book illustrator.)
- That’s a long ways to drive and not sell any books.
- A full day of writing was lost.
- Writing time was also lost the day before as I packed books and PR materials for the event, and then unpacked the day after.
- I didn’t sell any books. Maybe some of the people who stopped by and talked will buy on-line, but that’s just a maybe.
My positives outnumber the negatives, but those are pretty strong negatives.
So are events of this nature worth our time? I really don’t know.
By the way, I won’t be blogging for the next two weeks, but I hope to have some great pictures to post when I get back. Au Revoir